Essential oils 101: Beginner’s guideCan essential oils change your life? They sure have changed ours! From a Lavender-infused bedtime routine to a cleaner-smelling Lemon-y kitchen, we have the tips and tricks you need to start using essential oils. Read on for our ways to go from beginner oil user to supreme oil enthusiast!
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are highly aromatic oils derived from plants. They can be pulled from any botanical matter and are typically extracted from flower petals, citrus peels, grasses, tree barks, and resins. The oils are extracted through a variety of methods, including cold pressing and steam distillation.
How should I use essential oils?
Essential oils are best known for their aromas, which can help create an environment to suit your specific needs. In addition to adding them to cleaning products and beauty staples, you can infuse the air directly with your favorite fragrance by using one of our many diffusers. These handy aroma atomizers can be placed anywhere you crave a fresh scent.
Many essential oils have skin-enhancing benefits and can be applied directly to the skin or added to your existing beauty products. You can also combine them with a carrier oil or your daily moisturizer for easy application. Read Getting to Know Your Carrier Oils to learn more about diluting essential oils.
Did you know that many essential oils can be taken internally? Our Vitality™ line is specifically labeled for internal use, making it easy to add a splash of flavor to food and drinks or to take oils in capsules as a dietary supplement. Check out our recipes for homemade blueberry-lavender ice cream and overnight chia breakfast bowls to start getting essential in the kitchen.
Essential oils to start your collection
New to oils and don’t know where to start? Here are some of our favorite oils and their top uses!
1. Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil was the first oil produced at Young Living and is a favorite for its calming, floral aroma. Lavender ideas on how to use it around your home.
- Diffuse the soothing scent at bedtime to enhance your nighttime relaxation routine.
- Add a few drops to lotion or moisturizer for a classic aroma and a more youthful complexion.
- Create a luxurious bath experience with our DIY Lavender-oatmeal bath soak.
2. Peppermint essential oil
A cooling, minty scent with a familiar sharpness, Peppermint essential oil offers an energizing aroma that combines well with citrusy, spicy, and woodsy oils. Learn more about this fresh fragrance with our All About Peppermint infographic.
- Add 5-10 drops to DIY cleaner for a fresh and uplifting scent.
- Diffuse with Orange, Citrus Fresh™, or Lemongrass for an invigorating experience.
- Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to muscles for a cooling sensation after a tiring or physically engaging day.
3. Lemon essential oil
frequently makes an appearance in cleaning products, and with good reason! Its bright, comforting s
scent makes everything feel fresher.
- Add a few drops to a cotton ball and put in the car, the bottom of a trash can, and inside stinky shoes for an uplifting scent.
- Use it to remove pesky labels and adhesives.
- Diffuse to create an uplifting atmosphere and a more focused environment.
4. Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense essential oil has been popular since ancient times, but it’s making a comeback due to its earthy, grounding
aroma and skin benefits.
- Add Frankincense to your moisturizer to highlight your natural beauty and promote the appearance of healthy-looking skin and even skin tones.
- Invite elevated spiritual experiences every day by diffusing this oil while studying, during yoga, or while quietly reflecting.
- Diffuse to promote feelings of relaxation and tranquility.
Ready to take it to the next level? Read How to Use Essential Oils on our blog for more inspiring recommendations and Meet Our Top Blends to learn more about our YL blends.
Which essential oil are you most excited to try?
Let us know in the comments!
Legend has it that in the 15th-century, French authorities offered leniency to a group of thieves in exchange for their secret mixture.
Pop open a bottle of Thieves® essential oil blend and you’ll be transported by a powerful combination of Lemon, Clove, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata, and Rosemary oils. Each drop contains the naturally occurring constituents limonene, cinnamaldehyde, and eucalyptol (among others) in a concentrated dose of “yes, please” perks for body and spirit. With a warm, sweet scent that’ll have you hooked at first drop, you’ll want to have it everywhere in your life—and you can!
Thieves is more than an essential oil blend; it’s an experience. That’s why you’ll find it infused into the products you and your family use every day. You’ll make everyday moments more memorable with naturally derived, plant-based favorites formulated with you, your family, and the environment in mind.
Learn all about Thieves and how you can use it in your daily routine.Learn all about thieves
You can purchase your healthy life here